Let’s face it, we’ve all sent things online that we wish we could just erase from our minds and online history, whether it be embarrassing photos or not-so-nice gossip we told in our younger years. Thankfully, there is a way to delete them forever, should you decide you no longer wish to look at them.
Deleting Facebook messages on your desktop or mobile device takes mere seconds, however, keep in mind that deleting the aforementioned messages does not delete them from your friend’s inbox.
Nonetheless, when seeking to clear your chat history on Facebook or Messenger, you must make a decision between one of two actions: removing a specific message or deleting the entire history of your conversations between you and another person on Facebook.
You may want to delete just one message (or a few) out of your entire history. Or you may want to clear your chat history to start a new conversation without the distraction of old text hovering above, or to hide the information from potentially prying eyes.
How to Permanently Delete Facebook Messages
One warning in advance, however: unlike some messaging apps, deleting Facebook messages or clearing your history does not remove the message from other people’s history. If you’ve sent an embarrassing message to a friend and deleted that message from your chat history, your friend still has a copy. The best bet is to never say anything via a message — or anywhere online — that you would not want as part of the permanent record.
If you’re deleting Facebook messages to clear out the conversation list, keep in mind that you can always use the archive feature for that. That way, the messages won’t be permanently removed, but they will be cleared away from the main list of conversations.
- Open Facebook.
- Click the Messages icon at the top right of the screen. It’s the one between the buttons for friend requests and notifications.
- Click the message thread you want to permanently delete so that it pops up at the bottom of the screen.
Tip: You can also open all the threads at once with the See All in Messenger link at the bottom of the pop-up, but if you do that, skip down to item 2 below.
- Use the small gear icon next to that window’s exit button (called Options if you hover your mouse over it) to open a new menu.
- Select Delete Conversation from that pop-up menu.
- When asked to Delete This Entire Conversation?,choose Delete Conversation.